Wednesday 21 November 2012

Shameful goings on with the iPad mini.

Lead me not into temptation......


Some friends of mine were traveling into the UK recently who managed to get hold of a couple of the highly sought after iPad mini's.

They bought them for friends.

Lan Bui with and iPad mini he bought for someone else and ended up keeping for himself

The friends they bought them for did not get them, as they liked them so much that they kept them for themselves.

Another good friend of mine also managed to get hold of an iPad mini as a present for his girlfriend.

She has not received it, he opened the box to preload apps for her and kept it for himself.

More shameful and selfish acts tell you all you need know about the iPad mini.

Hold it in your hand and you are hooked by its size, feather weight and sheer quality.

Apple was late to the party with the iPad mini but in my view they really have hit the spot.

It did not have a retina screen but I did not miss it.

I use the brilliant and reliable Capture Pilot function in Capture One 7 Pro which enables you to share the shoot live with creatives on their iPad's, so they can choose the files as you shoot.

Tempting to get a couple just for this.

It is remarkable and baffling that I still encounter creatives who have never had this 'service' offered to them by photographers even on big high end shoots. It is a great way to win friends and influence the people who will give you your next big job. It is a mystery to me as to why more photographers don't use it.

I will let the parting shot go to theloopinsight.com


'If you want to save $50 and buy a cheap-ass tablet, go ahead. If you want quality the iPad mini will be waiting for you when you come to your senses'


I have a brand new iPad mini tucked away in the furthest recess's of my wardrobe for someone very special in my life.

When I open it up, just to set the email up and load it with apps you understand, lets hope that common sense prevails and not temptation.....


10 comments:

Roy Esterhuysen said...

Too good Drew :)

Roy Esterhuysen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
CMHPROPERTIES MARBELLA said...

Completely understand.Far to much temptation, as they do look amazing

Unknown said...

Hi Guys,

It is just such a tempting device.

Easy to see why it sells out with Christmas coming.

Have a go with Capture Pilot if you have not already it is a powerful and clever tool.

Regards

Drew

Libby said...

It's a lovely device - I got mine last week 32GB black. I think I am one of the few on the planet who does not like the white iPads. I have been goofing with the camera function for fun and I've gotten some interesting results. It's of course not to be considered a primary camera, then again I have always been know for using quirky stuff. My review here in case you are interested

http://ohnostudio.com/2012/11/ipad-mini-camera-review-can-you-get-anything-good-out-of-it/

The camera is pretty much crap but you can still do some interesting tricks.

You mentioned the cheapass tablet - you got it there. I found $39 dollar tablets at one of the local discount stores here that everyone was running for. Just for fun I looked it up and the company is out of business. I also did a head to head at one of the electronics stores with the Mini against the other small tablets. Sorry but the mini wins. The increased screen real estate alone is worth the price.

You have a great day! We have Thanksgiving holiday today so it will be Turkey and football for us!

Libby

Unknown said...

Hi Libby

Thanks for your comment.

Your review is the the most in-depth I have seen regarding the iPad Mini's camera.

A very good analysis, well worth a read.

You are right to avoid the white one by the way, it does make viewing a little tedious after a while.

Happy thanksgiving.

Drew

Pat Morrissey said...

"I can resist anything but temptation" Oscar Wilde

Unknown said...

Hi Pat

Good old Oscar.

He was spot on.

If you are into cool historic quotes check out Napolen Bonaparte, derided as a bit of a stunted meglomaniac, he came out with some of real pearls.

My favourite being 'imagination rules the world'

Regards

Drew

Libby said...

Drew just caught up with your reply here. I think I am the only one on the planet who does not like the white iPad.

Unknown said...

The ClamCase offers added efficiency and sleek protection without compromising the portability of your iPad. Fold out the keyboard for your typing-intense tasks, and simply flip it back to use your tablet.

iPad Mini Keyboard Case