Tuesday 16 December 2008

The Forest



Doom and gloom seems to everywhere one looks these days, world on the brink of an economic abyss and yet......and yet I cannot recall EVER feeling more optimistic and excited.

Why? Well I must admit I cannot really quite put my finger on it but the phone seems to be ringing off the wall these days with offers of more and more exciting projects

My work seems to be reaching a wider and more appreciative audience.

Interestingly I put this down to a couple of things

1. keeping the faith in your work

2. Making your dreams come true in Photographs, no matter how hard and painful it maybe

A little while ago I came up with the idea of one of my current projects ' The Forest'

It is a little too early to give away all of the goods behind the concept but it is based on beauty and how we respond to our environment

It is all self financed too

Every penny

Now I'm not loaded but I believe in chasing my visions, my dreams

To quote from the Great movie 'Ed Wood' starring Johnny Depp


ED

Mr. Welles, is it all worth it?

ORSON WELLES

It is when it works.
(solemn)
You know the one film of mine I can
stand to watch? "Kane." The studio
hated it... but they didn't get to
touch a frame.
(he smiles warmly)
Ed, visions are worth fighting for.
Why spend your life making someone
else's dreams?


I often think of this when I feel at a low ebb


Here is my favorite image(so far!)from the series

Titled 'Europa'

I had the idea sometime ago and I just could not bring all of the strands together to make it work

Small things like the Water Buffalo, Location ,Model etc.....

Essentially all in camera too (apart from a little tidying up, more of which in the DVD)

More than a photo fairy or two on set that day, we were blessed with perfect weather and clear skies which meant that I could rely on the sun do do its magic with 'my' smoke

I'm still using 4 strategically placed Elinchrom Ranger packs

Two for the model and buffalo,two for the forest scene to balance with the ambient light

I hope to be sharing all of this on a DVD which I will be releasing early 2009.

We ALL moan about not having the opportunities or the budget to make great photographs

Go create, enjoy and remember why you became a photographer in the first place

13 comments:

Unknown said...

I love the forest series; great concept and technically very well executed. It's great to see the personal self-funded work from professional photogs such as yourself and Chase Jarvis; it doesnt suffer from the distractions and "packaged" feel that sometimes accompanies comissioned work.

People seem to respond in two different ways to seeing this kind of work; those who are overwhelmed or intimidated by the apparent budget or requirement for professional gear to produce such a shot and those who realize that it's more about the concept and the creative energy that goes into it. Sure, you might struggle to achieve the exact same look with a couple of small strobes but you work with what you've got and make the most of it.

Great post & inspiring as always.

Unknown said...

Thank you for you kind words

The whole shoot cost under £1000.

There is more from this series on the way.

Cheers

Drew

Steve Moir said...

Once I'd finished admiring the photograph, the logical part of my brain starts pestering me "Where on earth do you source such a well groomed and mild (enough) mannered water buffalo?"

Debbi_in_California said...

Where in the world do you rent a water buffalo? GREAT concept!
Debbi

forstsportsfan said...

heij,
thank you for sharing.
Truly amazing image & encouraging words.
Yes, the forest series does rock!
Hard job for the model though - laying naked on a bison in th emiddle of the forest:-)
Marry christmas & happy 2009

JR said...

Forget the water buffalo mate-I know where I can lay my hands on some of those. Just let us know where you managed to get a model from who was willing to pose nude with the darned thing !

grilkip said...

Awesome light! I would say luck but that would probably be ignoring the patience you had to practice.

Great photograph, worth the money.

Unknown said...

Met you at the strobist meet, This image is awesome, where do you get your hands on a water buffalo?

Really enjoy reading your blog.

Rich

Unknown said...

Cheers Everyone,

Thank you for your kind comments

Happy New Year

Drew

Loduf75 said...

Great photo ! What a Wonderful world you create whith your caĆ¹era and lights !!
When is the DVD available in Paris ?? :-))
Many thanks for sharing !

Unknown said...

Hi Loduf75


Thank you for your kind words, I do like the shot myself

My next blog posting is late because I'm up to my neck in the video edit!
All being well it will be done by the end of february

Do check back!

Happy New Year

Best Wishes

Drew

AfricaShowBoy's Blog said...

Drew, this is a fan from Ghana. You rock man and thanks for reminding all of us to do personal projects.no

Unknown said...

Hi Nana

Thank you for your support, I appreciate it

Great to know I have a follower in Ghana

More personal projects ahead

Cheers

Drew